Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Good Samaritan




Hi Aunt B--

I don't know if I'm making a big issue out of something that isn't so big, but I'm pretty sure I've created a situation at work that is causing some discomfort for someone else, and I know it's causing some for me, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

You see, I found myself growing attracted--really attracted--to someone at work. I wasn't sure if he was married or not, and anyway, although I'm really attracted to him, I had a very hard time believing we were a good fit, so I tried very hard not to let my feelings show. But I slipped up, and he figured it out. He was very kind about it, letting me know in a subtle way that he was married, and talking with me in a way that really kept me from being embarrassed. And I'm not embarrassed, I haven't been, and I've gone about my business as usual since then. But twice now, when he and I have been in the same room together, but without really saying anything to each other, I've wondered if
he's feeling uncomfortable.

I'm not sure, but I think he may have gone out of his way to avoid me once. So my question is; should I try to avoid being around him for awhile? It really wouldn't be that difficult. I'll admit it would hurt my pride a little to do that--it would be like saying that I was just being nice to him before because I thought he was available, which would not be true. But if it would make him feel more comfortable, at least for awhile, I could do it. On the other hand, while it wouldn't be difficult for me to avoid him, it would be terribly obvious, to him as well as some other people, and maybe that would make him more uncomfortable.

Also, I admit that it hurts me to think he would avoid me--it's not like I was throwing myself at him, but that's how it makes me feel now. I don't know what to do, or even how to act toward him anymore. I was hoping to just go on as usual, and maybe it could go back to the way it was before, but now I don't know if that's possible. At least not right now. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me about how to act so I can make it better. If I can. You're the only one that I've been able to find who seemed to me to be able to answer a question like this. Thanks for your help.
Lisa Dear Lisa,

Thanks for the kind words. We don't often get much feedback, believe it or not so I do rather enjoy hearing any encouraging words.

I would imagine that you cringe inside every time you see him now, if nothing else in or with a bit of regret, right? I think I might feel the exact same way, if that's any comfort? You can't turn back time, you can't take back what was said or make the exchange between you non existent.

You seem the type of woman, firmly planted in reality and I can just feel that you are in the category of the few, the proud, the Bitch Belt wearing breed of woman. If you've not read about it, please take the time to read the link provided.

Anyway, point is; You say you're not embarrassed and quite frankly I don't think you should be either. So, you grab the bull by the horns and ride. You hold your head up high, walk in there, any room, any given situation with the thought process that the guy that you encountered should feel damn lucky and quite flattered that you'd find him interesting and datable.

Flip the script. Think about it. Most men, especially married men love validation. They love to know they are still desirable, I mean that's just human nature, is it not? We all want acceptance in some form or another and you probably made his day with your approach.

It will only be uncomfortable if you allow it to be. People can feel the vibes, they feel and see from body language. Yes, it speaks volumes and if you feel uncomfortable because you think he might be uncomfortable, he'll sense it. That's what's happening.

So, next time you see him, you've moved on, in your mind and it's as if it never happened. But if you do happen upon it in your mind, make sure you hold your head up, you smile with the knowledge that you did a good deed; you made someone feel good about themselves. Yes, it was the act of a Good Samaritan!

One of my fav sayings is, "Don't sweat the small shit and it's all small shit."

Keeping It Real,


Aunt Babz

No comments: