Monday, March 16, 2009

Planned Perseverance




dear aunt b,
several years ago you helped me with my depression, now i'm fully over it, thank you very much.
but the mail i'm sending you now is not for me, it's about a friend of mine I want to help.
we are both in our senior years of school and we all applied to universities, and he while he had great grades didn't get accepted in 4 of the 5.
this makes him school tired and he always leaves school in the afternoon, a centre that keeps up to date with the status of students sent him
a letter writing that if he would stay out several more days he could risk losing his high school degree. but now after the letter he keeps not returning to school.
I am school tired too but keep going to school to get my degree, how can I convince him to come to school or how can I motivate him.
I spoke to him allready about it and he said that it's not a big deal.
aunt B, what do I have to do ?
sincerely yours,
Tim


Dearest Tim,

It's the only reward we get, to hear from a past reader that we may have helped them. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing me and letting us know this. I won't take credit for your upswing, only you can but know we are here for you.

I am so sorry for the delay in answering this. I imagine that the time has expired for your friend to poop or get off the pot. So, I imagine that all I can do is possibly console you?

What I mean is this;
I would think that the situation your friend is in called for immediate action and even if I'd got right on it, the possibility is that it may have been too late? Or is it?

After re-thinking this, after prayer on my part...it's never too late, even if you're 90 years old to further yourself academically. As you know, it takes much perseverance.

Obviously, your friend is not able to envision what will happen if he does not persevere. I know at your age it's not really easy to see what happens today is most certainly going to effect what tomorrow brings. And I know this because I can distinctly remember thinking how I couldn't wait to get out of school. My priorities were so totally screwed up and I surely paid for my lack of focus.

Your friend will find himself in a long line of competitive job hunters, probably blue collar if he can not stop and re-think those priorities. That's the facts Jack. Today's job market is non too pretty and if you don't have a degree, you will not get paid. Days are long gone where a guy could muddle through, without college much less a High School diploma.

In my 50 years on this earth, I have never seen a job market such as this. People are finding themselves in deep poo poo when looking for a job, in all fields short of Medicine and possibly Computers. Now, I don't claim to be an employment analyst but it is an observation that unless you have that planned perseverance I spoke about, you will not make in this life.

Although we don't want to be a party pooper, my suggestion to you would be to allow your friend to read this letter. Possibly send him the link. I also don't want to be a wet blanket but I will tell it like it is;

"What you do in the next few years is going to make or break you. If you do not buckle down and apply yourself it is going to shape the rest of your life. The idea of just making do, muddling through this life, come what may is a fatal attempt at predicting the future...your future. And for the rest of your natural born life, you will simply muddle through.

You will have to re-invent yourself and begin to prioritize your life, right here and right now. If you are tired, get more sleep. If you are tired because you stay out half the night or better yet, sit in and game till it's the wee hours of the morn, you need to realize that you are going to pay for it. You need to see that right now is the most important time of your life and will shape your future, believe it or not.

If you are having problems with school, i.e. you just don't get it or a certain subject, then you must embrace that fact and ask for help. Don't just give up or give in. No, take that bull by the horns and own it. If this is the problem, asking for help, then you must put your pride aside or pay for that pride. In other words, allow me to exemplify the obvious; You can be a man with too much pride and never ask for help or be a man of wisdom because you were not too big to look for available resources, tools that help. After all, a man is only as good as his tools right?"

I invite your friend to write me and tell me what the real deal is. I'd also like to point out the fact that he has a truly good friend in you, one who cares enough to write, once again, using the resources available. I am more than willing to help your friend and point out the way to empower his life. This is not a lost cause, it is simply a case of prioritizing and perseverance. I can get a better handle on the situation if I know the complexities of his personal situation.

Please tell your friend to write me, OK? As well, I am so pleased to hear from you and wish you only the very best life has to offer!


Keeping It Real,

Aunt Babz

No comments: